In this lesson we will deep-dive into the field of climate change. We’ll understand why many see this problem as the most important challenge of the 21st century, and compare this domain to other cause areas according to different moral views. We will also utilize this discussion as a case study for making impact-focused decisions, initiating new projects, and prioritizing real-world interventions under significant uncertainty and complexity.
Links for additional reading:
- 2021 IPCC report
- Not Cool Podcast
- Is climate change an “existential threat” — or just a catastrophic one?
- Good news about climate change (an update to estimates of catastrophic risk due to the IPCC 2021 report)
- Sustainable Energy Without the Hot air (or the 10-page synopsis)
- Founders Pledge Climate Change Cause Area Report
- 80,000 Hours Climate Change Overview (Extreme Risks)
- Project Drawdown
- Determining the cost-effectiveness of climate change interventions
- Global development interventions are generally more effective than climate change interventions
- Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change (online course)